Wednesday, January 6, 2010

What is my music culture? How did i learn about the music i listen to ?

Growing up, there was always music playing in our house. When i was working or playing in the yard either the radio or a cd was always on. I was always in sports growing up as a kid as i still am today. When i was about 8 through 10 One of my travel teams would always jam out to tunes during our warm up and we were known for that. When i am on the baseball diamond or even in the car and i hear some of those songs and the memories immediately come back.
I would say that i listen to a lot of what my parents listen to. Its what i have listened to most of my life. I enjoy classic rock, I enjoy elton john. I enjoy christian music. I also have been introduced to a ton of new music that i truly do enjoy by my sister. My sister goes to Belmont University in nashville, tennessee, It is one of the top music schools in the nation. She is a singer and knows alot of people in the music industry.
I have to admit that i am probably a passive listener when it comes to music. I will listen to a song and really enjoy it or not like it at all. But alot of the times when people ask me who the artist is i really don't know. I have always been given cd's by my sister and kind of just gone with the flow. That is a huge reason why i took this class. To see what kind of artist sing what. Because i am tryin to make a conscious effort to know who sings what.
I also like what we said in class when we were talking about music as being an identity when a girl said " i believe there is music for every situation, In sports it is upbeat, when i do my horse show its country music i listen to." I totally agree with that statement. I believe every situation calls for certain types of music and that is why music is so beautiful.
What would life be without music? Think about that question

3 comments:

  1. Life would be uncomfortable and irritating if there was no music. Every situation would be an awkward situation. I'm kind of in between being a passive and active listener. Most often its passive, but occasionally something will come along and its like bam, I've got to get more of that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you music is definitely situational; I couldn't ever just stick to one type of music like I couldn't stick to one feeling.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What I really like is that you seem to be able to appreciate a lot of different types of music and I think maybe that comes from you being a passive listener. You seem to just kind of hear music as a background thing and i don't think that's necessarily a bad thing because it leaves you open to whatever is thrown your way. Maybe you don't take all the songs have to offer, but at least you can find some enjoyment in whatever is being played around you.

    ReplyDelete