Monday, January 11, 2010

My thoughts on the buying and selling of music.

I have to admit I was a limewire kid. That is i guess an illegal site to download music for free. My sister a Belmont student would frown upon me and say i was stealing from the struggling artists. It wasnt until my computer was acting a little strange when i decided to turn things around. I got rid of my limewire and switched to downloading my songs from itunes. I believe itunes is the safe, fair way of downloading music. Do i think it is a big deal to downlaod a jay-z song for free, or am i stealing from him? I think he is doing just fine. but those artists that aren't as big then yes i think i am. That is my view of my own personal buying and downloading of music.
Now in the music industry what a business it is. The complications of this cut throat business are huge. You can see in the articles that we read. How everyone is out for themselves and even though the band brought on millions of dollars. They would have made out better working at a 7-11. I believe the complications of getting that big name contract dicourage so many great artists. I have seen this first hand going to nashville and seeing all the kids with so much talent who will never get seen. The music industry is truly a cut throat business, yet i am not knowledgable enough to tell them how to change. I believe the artists should benefit more.
Buy itunes its the good thing to do.

4 comments:

  1. I feel a little bad about getting music for free, but I haven't changed my ways..yet? I just know I wouldn't have enough to afford what I have... and my parents aren't that into music to buy me what I want. So, props to you for turning your ways around though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Buying from itunes or other purchasing sites is the best, but I'm a bit like Rachel in that I probably wouldn't be able to afford the amount of music that I have. I go out and buy a lot of things, but if I like just a single, I'll get it by other means.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like your final point--that the artists should benefit more. That's the bottom line here in my opinion. By whatever means necessary, the artists should benefit...and I can also kinda see a different viewpoint. Because artists barely make any money off of record sales anyway, maybe it's fine to download the music. Maybe the music is just a tool to get the artists' name out and make them more marketable to the public. Maybe getting their music for free can encourage more support of them in shows and endorsements. Maybe free music is the way to go in order to make bigger gains in other areas.....maybe

    ReplyDelete